This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

File picker

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM
Sacha, I am trying to build a template to display documents for download. I guess what I need is a file picker which does not seem to be an option. I tried using Url hoping it would allow me pick a file but cannot get it to work. Do you have a sample?
Jul 21, 2015 at 5:16 PM
It's not present at the moment.

But i add it to next release.

Normally for tomorow

Sacha
Jul 22, 2015 at 10:46 PM
It's added to v 1.3.0
Marked as answer by sachatrauwaen on 7/22/2015 at 2:46 PM
Jul 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Thank you Sacha.

May I suggest the following enhancements:
  1. It assumes a user will want to upload a file. What may be needed is an option to select a file already on the site.
  2. A user may wish to upload files to a specified folder and not /Portals/#/OpenContent/Files.
Jul 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM
Hi,

If you add in the layout option file the typeahead with the folder you decide on which the user can search, a autocomplete search is active for selecting a existing file.

The "uploadfolder" in the layout option file specify where the uploaded files are stored.
 "File": {
    "type": "file",
    "helper": "Url of the file",
    "typeahead": {
        "Folder": "Files"
    },
    "uploadfolder" : "Files"
}
Do this mead your needs ?
Jul 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM
Yes, what you suggest works but is not intuative for an end user.

typeahead and uploadfolder assume that the end user knows how the template was setup for them. What I believe is needed is the ability for an end user to choose an existing file on the server and a second option to upload (currently called "Choose") a file from their local pc.

In my opinion it should follow a similar pattern to how CK Editor handles choosing an image to insert into HTML module.
Jul 23, 2015 at 2:45 PM
You meen with a "File explorer", with folders tree, list of files, create folder, upload file ?

Or is a simple autocomplete tree enoug you think ?

Jul 23, 2015 at 2:58 PM
If you can do it, I would go for a full file explorer allowing a user to pick from any sub-folder of Portals/#/ for both uploading to and selecting a file from.
Jul 23, 2015 at 2:58 PM
liffey wrote:
Yes, what you suggest works but is not intuative for an end user.

typeahead and uploadfolder assume that the end user knows how the template was setup for them. What I believe is needed is the ability for an end user to choose an existing file on the server and a second option to upload (currently called "Choose") a file from their local pc.

In my opinion it should follow a similar pattern to how CK Editor handles choosing an image to insert into HTML module.
1) In my opinion, in much cases letting the user organize the folders where places files and images, don't work well.
Better in my eyes, is to precreate folders (by module or by type of information) where the end user have no chose.
Organize folders, need really a global view of the files of the website.
Can advanced users not use the dnn file manager to make global managment of files ?

This is surrely not true in all cases.

2) typeahead and uploadfolder assume that the end user knows how the template was setup for them.
I can maybe shown the configured path ?
Jul 23, 2015 at 3:05 PM
1) Perhaps not but when I am training users I explain that they should group their files into logically named folders:

pdf_documents
policies
forms
images
carousel
etc

I agree that advanced users can manage folders/files for the site but to be consistent, with HTML (CKEditor) etc,, I would suggest you allow users select as I describe above.

2) Showing the configured path would not be necessary if the user had the abilities I suggest.
Jul 27, 2015 at 8:09 AM
Hi,

Ok, i understand your what you mean.

My vision, is that my customers wants a more smart way to work (mare like a facebook UX for uploading files)

But, i will integrate your approch in opencontent, be we have to think about how to implement it.
We need a client site javascript component that implement a file explorer.
A full development of that is a lot of work and DNN don't have it (in the journal is also more simple).

If you can sujest some existing jquery/javascript plugin that implement it, it will fasten de development of it ?

And if you are a developer i can help you to make it.

Regards,

Sacha
Jul 27, 2015 at 9:03 AM
Look at Admin > Site Settings > Appearance. Logo and Background body are the implementation required.